February 15, 2012

The humble old tablecloth: Not anymore!

I grew up in a family where dinner was always, and I mean ALWAYS eaten at the table. We had a kitchen table, formal dining table and outdoor table and it didn't matter which one the meal was eaten at - it was always set. By 'set' I don't just mean knife and forks, salt and pepper, I mean tablecloth, napkins, and on special occasions - napkin rings, place cards, floral centrepiece and candles.

Today I still only eat at the table (my one and only table) and one of my favourite things is to set it for guests. I have a collection of placemats and I regularly use rolls of paper and runners of fabric but never a tablecloth - I don’t own one, much to my mother’s dismay.  A tablecloth is one of the simplest and cheapest things to make, and can transform any table.  The below images have given me inspiration for something more than just a plain rectangle of fabric...

Love the scolloped edge both on the tablecloth and chair cover, and the contrast of plain and check.

Simple duckegg blue linen pleated tablecloth.

Cute, fitted, scolloped edge tablecloth.

Something out of the ordinary - love the choice of bordering the panels so as to highlight the shape beneath.

Beautiful applique of Nana's doilies.
Simple tie side linen tablecloth. Love it because you could manipulate it into any style with your table setting.
Simple broad banded tablecloth.

Completely opulent puddled tablecloth with triple ruffle trim.

Love this idea of the table detail print on the linen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...